Canada's Condominium Magazine

Choking Hazards: Cautionary Tales — Alby, Sophie and Tobie — Part One

A parent’s worst nightmare is having something tragic happen to their child. When something goes wrong, you feel a lump in your throat, your chest tightens, and you imagine the worst. You begin to panic and go through a million scenarios in the blink of an eye, trying to calm yourself enough to handle the situation and help your child.

We go through great strides to keep our children safe, but sometimes the biggest threats are everyday items that are so commonplace that we barely give them a second thought. Some items pose the risk of a concussion if the child hits his or head on them, while others run the risk of suffocation. Typically, we will childproof the home to eliminate these issues. However, one of the most terrifying threats is that of choking hazards, which can prove fatal in a matter of seconds.

 

Seemingly Innocent Items Lead to Tragedy

Alby Davis

Last month, Anna Davis was preparing for her little boy’s upcoming birthday party as all mothers do… balloons, cake, presents, guest lists, and the little bags of treats that are handed out to guests. However, a moment of joy and anticipation turned into a nightmare when three-year-old Alby grabbed one of the bouncing balls from the goodie bags and began to play with it. As toddlers often do, he put his new toy in his mouth. It was then that it became lodged in his throat, restricting his airways.

Such a tiny ball, yet it left one family’s lives forever altered.

            His mother tried desperately to remove the ball and save her child, but those attempts were in vain. Little Alby died in his mother’s arms. “Yesterday afternoon, our beautiful, beautiful Alby, our darling baby boy, grew wings and flew from this earth,” said Davis in a touching tribute via Instagram. “Minutes pass like hours and the gaping hole in our lives and hearts is completely incomprehensible. We adore you beyond belief, our sweet little fox. Forever three, forever free.”

 

Three-year-old Alby Davis died in his mother’s arms
after choking on a bouncing ball.

 

Little Sophie

Recently, one mother took to the internet to warn other parents to take precautions and watch their children carefully, especially when consuming small pieces of candy. She told the story of her 5-year-old daughter, Sophie, who passed away three years ago after choking on a miniature candy egg that she received during the Easter holiday.

“It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away,” said the distraught mother. “She had choked on a mini egg, and I was unable to dislodge it, even with back slaps and pushing up and under her ribs.”

“I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event, so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind, but it didn’t help. I watched the light slip away from my baby’s eyes, I tried in vain to save her.”

The mother went on to warn other parents to be cautious and keep treats like these out of the hands of little ones, while also keeping an eye on older kids while eating them. “Sophie was 5 ½ so not a tiny tot, yet this seemingly harmless treat took my angel away.”

“If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether,” said the mother, who writes under the name XGemx. “I would hate to know another child had been harmed by these Easter treats. If just one person reads this and watches their toddler, child, or teen extra close when eating these, my daughter’s death will not be in vain.”

Cadbury, the company which produces the mini eggs, has since issued the following statement: “We were saddened by this tragic event, as the safety of our customers is of the upmost importance to us.” The company also stated that all their Cadbury Mini Eggs are labeled with the following warning: “Choking Hazard: This product is Not suitable for children under 4.” Unfortunately, people often overlook these warnings and hand them out to their little ones, who are drawn to the colourful packaging and delicious-looking treats. Also, as in the case of little Sophie, these treats can also be harmful to children older than the recommended age.

Miniature chocolate Easter eggs caused 5-year-old Sophie to choke.

 

Toby Owen

Two-year-old Toby Owen was play with a tiny ball with his four-year-old sister Darcey at their home on March 30th. The ball bounced and went into little Toby’s mouth and became lodged in his airway. His mother discovered her son choking as he clutched his throat and struggle to breathe. He turned blue, and his nose began to bleed.

Toby’s parents, Carrie and Rich, performed CPR and tried desperately to remove the ball, which measured 4 cm wide. As they struggled to save him, his jaw locked, and they were unable to remove the ball. Fortunately, paramedics arrived at the home moments later and managed to retrieve the ball by scooping with it out. Thanks to their quick response and successful intervention, little Toby is alive and recovering from the traumatic event.

Toby Owen is alive and recovering, thanks to the quick response
and successful intervention of paramedics.

 

Incidents like these are so tragic and frightening, and the goal of sharing them is to spread awareness and keep this from happening to anyone else. Read on to part two for details on how to prevent choking and how to notice the warning signs, just in case.

 

Via-Bloor-Tridel
Auberge on the Park-Tridel
Bianca-Tridel-Annex

SHARE WITH US

Subscribe to condo.ca

@ 2017 condo.ca  |  Designed by Persona Corp